Mussels with Tequila and Jalapeño
The jalapeños add a delicious kick to the sauce for the mussels. Wear gloves when prepping the jalapeños, as they can irritate skin and eyes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ lbs. mussels
- ½ cup butter
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup halved and thinly sliced leek (white and light green part only)
- ½ cup seeded and diced ripe tomato
- ⅓ cup sliced jalapeño (¼
- ¼ cup tequila
- 2 Tbsp. fresh-squeezed lime juice
- ⅛ tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Rinse and scrub the mussels under cold, running water. Remove the “beards” from the mussels.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add the garlic and cook until soft, about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the leeks and cook until soft, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomatoes, jalapeños, tequila, lime juice, salt, pepper, and the mussels. Cover and cook until the mussels open, about 8 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the mussels to a shallow bowl; discard any mussels that did not open.
- Simmer the sauce, until slightly reduced, about 4 to 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. To serve, pour the sauce over the mussels and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve hot.