Mustard-Crusted Prime Rib
Wow your guests with this special-occasion roast. The mustard and herbs make this prime rib memorable.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 10 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 bone-in rib roast (6 lbs.)
- 1½ Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, mashed
- 3 Tbsp. whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary
- 2 cups beef broth
- In a small bowl, mix garlic, mustard, thyme, rosemary, ½ tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Season roast all over with remaining salt and pepper. Tie roast using kitchen twine and place on a large plate or baking pan. Spread mustard mixture over the top and sides of the roast. Place in the refrigerator and allow to sit, uncovered, for at least 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 275ºF.
- Move the roast to a rack set in a roasting pan. Add the broth to the bottom of the pan. Roast for 4 hours and check the temperature of the roast. Continue to roast until the internal temp reaches 135ºF. Remove the roast from the oven loosely cover it and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. Increase oven temp to 450ºF. Return the roast to the oven and cook for 10 minutes. Serve with the broth and drippings.