Natchitoches Meat Pies
These little meat pies are a favorite nosh among families along the Texas–Louisiana border. They’re often served on Christmas Eve.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 lbs. pizza dough
- 3 cups browned ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- With floured hands, divide dough into 16 portions. Roll each portion into a 4-inch circle.
- In a bowl, combine beef, parsley, garlic, green onions, jalapeño pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon a little beef mixture onto half of each dough circle, leaving 1⁄2 inch around the edges bare. Fold bare dough over the filling, forming a crescent shape. Moisten dough with water and crimp edges together to seal the pockets.
- Pour cooking oil into a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Turn heat to medium-high. When oil is hot, cook meat pies two at a time for 6 to 8 minutes or until golden on both sides. (Turn carefully at least once during cooking.)
- Remove pies from oil and drain on paper towels. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.