Naturally Sugar-Free Almond Baklava Roll
Brush thin sheets of phyllo dough with melted butter. Fill with walnuts sweetened with coconut sugar, roll, and bake until crisp and golden. Drench with a honey-sweetened syrup and cool until crisp.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1⁄2 cup unsalted melted butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1⁄3 cup coconut sugar, divided
- 1 Tbsp. xylitol
- 3⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 box (1 lb.) phyllo dough
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush 1 tablespoon melted butter over a 9-inch square baking dish to cover bottom and sides.
- In a medium bowl, combine chopped walnuts, 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, xylitol, 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Remove phyllo from package, unroll it, and place it on a clean surface under a sheet of plastic wrap and a damp towel. Place 1 sheet of phyllo on a work surface with the smallest (9 inches) end closest to you, and gently brush it with melted butter. Place a second sheet on top of the first and brush it with butter. Add a third sheet and brush it with butter. Distribute about 3 tablespoons of nut filling along the edge closest to you, in a line all the way across the width. Lift the ends of the stack of phyllo and roll away from you to form a long cigar-shaped roll. Place roll in prepared baking dish and repeat steps until all ingredients are used.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until very lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine water, honey, 1⁄2 cup coconut sugar, 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Drizzle over hot baklava as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Cool completely before cutting into 3-inch rolls.