Neck Tie Sugar Cookies
These fun sugar cookies are the perfect treat to make on Father’s Day. Everyone can get involved in creatively decorating these delicious cookies.
Serves: 24Prep: 40 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Food coloring, for icing
- Candy such as M&M’s, Twizzlers, Milk Duds, Swedish Fish or Reese’s Pieces, to decorate
- In a small bowl, combine the baking soda, salt and sour cream.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Once light and fluffy, beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the sour cream mixture.
- Gradually stir in the sifted flour. Stir until just combined then place in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Using a neck tie cookie cutter, cut out the cookies and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just golden brown on the edges. Allow to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water and meringue powder until slightly foamy. On low speed, add the powdered sugar and almond extract. Stir until incorporated, then turn to high and beat for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon of water or 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time until desired consistency. Divide icing into separate bowls and use food coloring to die the icing into desired colors. Decorate cookies with icing and top with candy as desired.
- Serve and store leftovers in an airtight container.
- Tip: While decorating with one color of icing, cover the other colors with a damp paper towel to prevent it from drying out.