New-and-Improved Rocky Road Brownies
These rich and fudgy brownies have less fat and more fiber than traditional brownies.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 12 large marshmallows, halved
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine water, butter, and cocoa powder. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then remove and stir. Continue microwaving on high at 30-second intervals until mixture boils.
- Remove from microwave and add granulated sugar and brown sugar; mix well. Add sour cream, all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Stir in eggs and egg whites until blended. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 22 to 26 minutes or until brownies are set.
- Sprinkle with peanuts and dark chocolate chips, then lay the marshmallow halves over top of the brownies. Return to oven and bake for 3 to 4 minutes longer until marshmallows puff. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack, then cut into squares.