New-and-Improved Rocky Road Brownies
These rich and fudgy brownies have less fat and more fiber than traditional brownies.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup chopped toasted peanuts
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 12 large marshmallows, halved
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine water, butter, and cocoa powder. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then remove and stir. Continue microwaving on high at 30-second intervals until mixture boils.
- Remove from microwave and add granulated sugar and brown sugar; mix well. Add sour cream, all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Stir in eggs and egg whites until blended. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 22–26 minutes or until brownies are set.
- Sprinkle with peanuts and dark chocolate chips, then lay the marshmallow halves over top of the brownies. Return to oven and bake for 3–4 minutes longer until marshmallows puff. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack, then cut into squares.