New Orleans Pralines
These treats come from the same city that brought us Mardi Gras, so you know they have to be good.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 packed cups light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans
- Line 2 large baking sheets with wax paper.
- Stir together the sugars, evaporated milk, and corn syrup in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Cook over very low heat, stirring frequently, for about 1 hour or until the mixture registers 236°F on a candy thermometer. Test by dropping a nugget of the mixture into cold water; it should form a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water. Do not cook the mixture too fast, as it will curdle.
- Remove from heat. Add the butter and vanilla, and beat for about 1 minute or until well blended.
- Add the nuts and stir until coated. Quickly drop by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Cool for 30 minutes until set.