New Year’s Sticky Cake
Sticky Cake is one of many foods symbolizing good luck that play a large role in Chinese New Year celebrations.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups glutinous rice flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1¼ cups brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 5 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- Place the flour in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the boiling water and the brown sugar until the sugar dissolves.
- Make a well in the middle of the glutinous rice flour and stir in the sugar-and-water mixture. Add the milk and the egg. Stir until the batter is well mixed.
- Prepare the wok for steaming. Grease a cake pan with the vegetable oil and pour the cake batter into the pan. Top with the sesame seeds.
- Set the cake pan on a bamboo steamer and place in the wok. Steam the cake for 50 minutes, or until the edges move away from the cake pan. Cool. To serve, cut the cake into wedges.