New York–Style Cheesecake
The graham cracker crust is traditional, but simple dark chocolate wafers make a wonderful crust. If you can’t find the wafers, use dry sugar-free bread.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups sugar-fee chocolate wafers
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter
- 5 egg whites
- 3 packages (8 oz.) low-fat cream cheese at room temperature
- 8 oz. sour cream
- ⅔ cup Splenda
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup cake flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Prepare a 9" spring form pan with nonstick spray.
- Grind the wafers in a food processor and add the melted butter. Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and ½" up the sides of the spring form. Store in the freezer while you make the rest of the cake.
- Whip the egg whites into stiff peaks and set aside.
- Mix cream cheese, sour cream, Splenda, egg yolks, flour, vanilla, salt, lemon juice, and zest with an electric mixer until smooth. Fold in egg whites until just combined. Pour into the prepared crust. Bake for 1 hour or until cheesecake doesn’t jiggle in the middle.
- Turn off the oven and leave the cheesecake in for another hour. Cool, release the spring, and serve. Chill leftovers.