No Shepherd, No Sheep Pie
Sheep- and shepherd-less pie is a hearty vegan entrée for big appetites!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups TVP
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. soy milk, divided
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled, diced, and cooked
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried sage
- 1⁄2 tsp. paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine TVP with hot vegetable broth and allow to sit for 6 to 7 minutes. Gently drain any excess moisture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, garlic, and carrots until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, green peas, vegetable broth, and 1⁄2 cup soy milk. Whisk in flour just until sauce thickens, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Mash together the potatoes, margarine, and 3 tablespoons soy milk with the rosemary, sage, paprika, and salt and pepper. Spread over the vegetables.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.