No Shepherd, No Sheep Pie
Sheep- and shepherd-less pie is a hearty vegan entrée for big appetites!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1½ cups TVP
- 1½ cups hot vegetable broth
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¾ cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup plus 3 Tbsp. soy milk, divided
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled, diced, and cooked
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- ¼ tsp. dried rosemary
- ¼ tsp. dried sage
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine TVP with hot vegetable broth and allow to sit for 6–7 minutes. Gently drain any excess moisture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onions, garlic, and carrots until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, green peas, vegetable broth, and ½ cup soy milk. Whisk in flour just until sauce thickens, then transfer to a casserole dish.
- Mash together the potatoes, margarine, and 3 tablespoons soy milk with the rosemary, sage, paprika, and salt and pepper. Spread over the vegetables.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned on top.