No-Tomato Marinara with Meatballs and Zucchini Noodles
This no-tomato twist on marinara may be the most clever recipe ever—not to mention one of the tastiest!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 jar (4 oz.) beet baby food purée
- 2 jars (4 oz.) carrot baby food purée
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb. ground beef
- 1 jar (4 oz.) pear baby food purée
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, divided
- 2 cups zucchini noodles
- Add the beet purée, carrot puree, garlic, onion, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and olive oil to a blender. Puree until smooth and set aside.
- Mix together beef, pear purée, garlic powder, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Form into 2– to 3-inch meatballs. In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium-high heat. Place meatballs in skillet, cover with a lid and cook, turning every 5 to 6 minutes, until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes total. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Return skillet to heat. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil, add zucchini noodles to skillet, cooking just until hot (about 2 to 3 minutes). Transfer to serving platter.
- Return skillet to heat, turn heat to medium-low. Add sauce to skillet and simmer 10 minutes until hot. Spoon over noodles and meatballs.