No Tomato Marinara with Meatballs and Zucchini Noodles
This no-tomato twist on marinara may be the most clever recipe ever—not to mention one of the tastiest!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 jar (4 oz.) beet baby food puree
- 2 jars (4 oz.) carrot baby food puree
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ lb. ground beef
- 1 jar (4 oz.) pear baby food puree
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil, divided
- 2 cups zucchini noodles
- Puree all the sauce ingredients in a blender. Set aside
- Mix together beef, pear puree, garlic, salt, and pepper. Form into 2–3" meatballs. In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium-high heat. Place meatballs in skillet, cover with a lid and cook, turning every 5–6 minutes, until browned and cooked through, about 15 minutes total. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Return skillet to heat. Melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil, add zucchini noodles to skillet, cooking just until hot (about 2–3 minutes). Transfer to serving platter.
- Return skillet to heat, turn heat to medium-low. Add sauce to skillet and simmer 10 minutes until hot. Spoon over noodles and meatballs.