These taste very much like Oreos. Change the flavor of the filling to come up with your own variations. Some suggestions are: coffee, chocolate, strawberry, peanut butter, or raspberry.
Makes: 24Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. espresso powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 1⁄2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place 1⁄4 cup cocoa and 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar in a bowl; set aside.
- Beat remaining granulated sugar, butter, salt, and espresso powder until fluffy. Beat in egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water. Stir in flour and remaining cocoa. Roll dough into 48 balls and roll each ball in sugar and cocoa mixture.
- Place on baking sheets and press flat with a glass dipped in cocoa mixture. The cookies should be about 1⁄8 inch thick. Bake 18 minutes. Cool completely.
- Soften gelatin in 2 tablespoons cold water. Beat shortening, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Add dissolved gelatin; beat until smooth. Place a teaspoon of filling between two cookies; repeat with remaining cookies and filling. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving. Cookies should be stored in refrigerator.