Northern Border Chili con Carne
This is just as traditional if made with beef, but it never contains tomatoes.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. pork steak
- 1 lb. veal steak
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 jalapeño chilies
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups canned kidney beans
- Cut the pork and veal steaks into 1-inch cubes. Place the meat in a large frying pan along with the olive oil. Cook on medium heat until the meat is lightly browned.
- Cut the onion into quarters. Remove the stems and seeds from the chilies and cut into 1⁄4-inch pieces. Place the onion, garlic, chilies, oregano, and salt in blender and blend on medium setting until you have a purée. Add the purée to the meat. Stir and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans to frying pan. Reduce heat, cover, and cook for 2 hours.