Norwegian Cream Porridge (Rømmegrøt)
Norwegian grandmothers of days past spent hours stirring rømmegrøt until it reached creamy, velvety perfection. Today, microwaves get the job done faster.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 12 oz. unsalted European-style butter, divided
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour the half-and-half into a large, heat-proof bowl and microwave until warm, about 1 minute.
- Place 8 ounces butter in another large heat-proof bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Whisk the flour into the melted butter until creamy and smooth. Add the warm half-and-half and whisk. Stir in sugar and salt and return to the microwave. Heat, uncovered, for 4 minutes, removing to stir every minute, until porridge is thick. Heat for an additional minute, if needed.
- Melt remaining butter in a small, heat-proof bowl in the microwave.
- To serve, spoon the porridge into small dishes, drizzle with melted butter, and then sprinkle with cinnamon-and-sugar mixture.