Rather than flattening these with a fork as with other peanut butter cookies, try using a cookie stamp. You can find cookie stamps at many craft and baking supply stores.
Makes: 24Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. plus 1 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tbsp. whole milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Cream shortening and granulated sugar together until fluffy. Add egg, salt, and 3 tablespoons peanut butter; blend well.
- In a food processor, pulse oats until a fine powder is formed. Add with flour to shortening mixture; blend until smooth. Roll into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with a fork.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, 1 cup peanut butter, and confectioners' sugar. Add milk, a teaspoon at a time, to get the correct consistency for spreading. Sandwich 2 cookies, flat sides together, with filling.