Freshly grated nutmeg makes all the difference in these buttery cookies. Whole nutmegs are available in the spice aisle at the grocers. Just run one across a grater until you have enough for your recipe.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and pecans.
- Add flour; blend well. Chill dough 30 minutes or more.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Shape teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine confectioners’ sugar and nutmeg. Roll warm cookies in mixture until coated.