Nutty Bran Bread
Blackstrap molasses gives the bread a sassy sweetness and bones up your calcium at the same time!
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄2 cup soy milk
- 4 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bran cereal
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add olive oil, molasses, and soy milk, mixing well.
- Combine white flour, whole wheat flour, cereal, sugar, salt, and walnuts. Add to molasses mixture and knead for at least 20 minutes.
- Round up dough in a greased bowl. Let dough rise in warm place until double, about 1 hour. Punch down and divide into 2 loaves.
- Flatten dough and roll up into 2 loaf shapes. Place in loaf pans. Let rise until double, about 1 hour. Bake for 30 minutes.