Nutty Oatmeal Bread
You can add even more chopped walnuts to this delicious bread if youʼd like for more texture. This recipe is a wonderful way to use up leftover oatmeal.
Serves: 24Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages (0.25 oz. each) active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 cups prepared oatmeal
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. corn oil
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups all purpose-flour
- In large bowl, combine yeast and warm water; stir and let stand for 10 minutes until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, in medium saucepan combine oatmeal, nuts, honey, and milk and heat until warm. Remove from heat and beat in eggs, salt, and corn oil. Stir into yeast mixture.
- Add whole wheat flour and beat for 1 minute. Then gradually add enough all-purpose flour to make a firm dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Grease two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with unsalted butter. On floured surface, divide dough into half and pat into two 7-by-12-inch rectangles. Roll up, starting with 7-inch side. Place in loaf pans, cover, and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake bread for 1 hour, or until bread is deep golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped with fingers. Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.