Oat-Bran Dinner Rolls
These excellent rolls are light yet hearty, with a wonderful flavor and a bit of crunch.
Serves: 30Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups water
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup oat bran
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 packages (¼ oz.) active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 egg white, beaten
- In medium saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Add oats, oat bran, brown sugar, and butter and stir until butter melts. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile, in microwave-safe glass cup, place buttermilk. Microwave on medium for 1 minute or until lukewarm (about 110°F). Sprinkle yeast over milk; stir and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, combine 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, and salt. Add honey, cooled oat mixture, and softened yeast mixture and beat until smooth. Gradually add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5–7 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour or until dough doubles.
- Punch down dough and divide into thirds. Divide each third into 10 pieces. Roll balls between your hands to smooth. Place balls onto baking pans 2" apart. Brush with egg. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake rolls for 15–25 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden brown. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.