Toasting half of the coconut in this recipe and using organic coconut oil adds a deep coconut flavor. If you can’t get organic coconut oil, just use shortening in place of it.
Makes: 48Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup organic coconut oil
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets.
- Toast 1 cup coconut in the microwave, stirring every minute and watching it carefully to prevent burning. The coconut should be a light, golden brown. This will take approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cream shortening, coconut oil, butter, and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until blended.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and oatmeal. Add to shortening mixture. Fold in remaining untoasted coconut and toasted coconut.
- Drop by teaspoons onto baking sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden; do not overbake.