Oatmeal Raisin Bread
Personalize this loaf to fit your mood with a variety of other dried fruits or the addition of up to 1 cup of nuts.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- Combine 1 cup oats and raisins in a large bowl, add milk and vanilla, and soak for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with pan spray, and line the bottom and short sides with a strip of parchment.
- Stir eggs and butter into the soaked oatmeal, and mix well. Sift together flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt; stir thoroughly into oats.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan, top with remaining oats and granulated sugar, and bake 20 minutes, until risen. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake 30 minutes, or until a pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tent with foil if loaf browns too quickly.
- Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool on a rack.