Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening, melted and cooled
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, sugars, and flavoring and beat well. Sift together the sifted flour, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg into another bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, beating well. Stir in the shortening, oats, and nuts. Cover and chill the dough for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a baking sheet.
- Spread the dough 1⁄4 inch thick on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges of the sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown and flat in the center. Remove from the oven and cut into bars at once. Remove from the pan and let cool on a rack.