Oatmeal Walnut Cake
This hearty cake has a thick, dense bite with an unmistakable sweet caramel flavor from the coconut sugar.
Serves: 15Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup, plus 2 Tbsp. rolled oats, divided
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups spelt flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts, divided
- Place 1 cup oats and butter in a medium bowl and pour boiling water over them. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, baking soda, and eggs. Stir in oatmeal mixture, cinnamon, vanilla, flour, dates and 1⁄2 cup of walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle top of batter with remaining oats and remaining walnuts. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting.