Oi Muchim (Korean Cucumber Salad)
Gochugaru consists of spicy Korean chili flakes and is available at most Asian markets. If you do not have it available you can substitute red pepper flakes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 large English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. gochugaru
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- Place the cucumber slices in a bowl and add the salt. Toss to coat. Transfer the cucumber to a strainer and allow to set for 15 minutes. Rinse the cucumber well and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the gochugaru, vinegar, sesame seeds, sugar, and sesame oil. Whisk to combine. Add the drained cucumber, scallion, and carrot and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 20 minutes before serving.