Old-Fashioned Butter Cake
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 12-cup fluted tube pan.
- In a bowl, cream the butter until smooth. Gradually add the granulated sugar, blending well. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and the salt into a bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture along with the vanilla, beating well. Spoon into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly touched. Remove the pan to a rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Dust cooled cake with confectioners’ sugar.