Old-Fashioned Butterscotch Sauce
Save to My Recipes
This delicious butterscotch is wonderful on a bread pudding, or you could use it as a topping for ice cream.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 25 minutes
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ⅔ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup butter
- ⅛ tsp. baking soda
- ⅔ cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue cooking, without stirring, at a full rolling boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. In a small cup, dissolve baking soda in milk and add vanilla; stir into sauce. Stir until smooth.
- Pour into a 1-pint canning jar or two 8-ounce jars. Store sauce in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- To reheat sauce, put jar in a pan of warm water.