These spicy cookies are both chewy and crisp. For a spicier cookie, add about 1⁄4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. It gives heat to the cinnamon without adding flavor.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup unsulfured molasses
- Sift together baking soda, salt, flour, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves; set aside.
- Cream shortening, butter, and 1 cup sugar. Blend in molasses and egg.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture; blend well. Cover and chill 30 minutes or longer.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter 2 large baking sheets.
- Shape dough into walnut-sized balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets; bake 12 minutes. Cool completely.