Old-Fashioned Lemon Bread Pudding
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup soft white bread cubes (1 inch)
- 2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 5 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and salt. In a saucepan, combine the milk and granulated sugar and bring just to a boil. Add the butter and stir to melt. Pour the milk mixture over the bread; let cool 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 1 1⁄2-quart baking dish. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks until blended. Add to the cooled bread mixture along with the lemon juice. Mix well. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold the egg whites into the bread mixture. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Place the dish in a baking pan. Pour hot water into the pan to a depth of 3 inches.
- Bake for 1 hour or until firm. Serve warm or cold.