Old-Fashioned Lemon Scones
Save to My Recipes
These fresh citrus scones are delicious with tea or coffee.
Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutes
- 1¼ cups white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ⅓ cup cold butter
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 Tbsp. chopped candied lemon peel
- 2 large eggs, divided
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix flour, oats, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the mixture until the butter looks like pea-size crumbs.
- Stir in honey, lemon juice, lemon peel, candied lemon peel, 1 egg, and half-and-half until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 times. Roll dough into a rectangle about ½" thick. Cut the dough into 4" squares and then cut into triangles.
- Place triangles about 2" apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Beat remaining egg in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush top and sides of the scones with beaten egg.
- Bake 10 minutes until golden brown.