Old-Fashioned Lemon Scones
These fresh citrus scones are delicious with tea or coffee.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄4 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup cold butter
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 Tbsp. chopped candied lemon peel
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Mix flour, oats, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the mixture until the butter looks like pea-size crumbs.
- Stir in honey, lemon juice, lemon peel, candied lemon peel, 1 egg, and half-and-half until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 times. Roll dough into a rectangle about 1⁄2 inch thick. Cut the dough into 4-inch squares and then cut into triangles.
- Place triangles about 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Beat remaining egg in a small bowl. Use a pastry brush to brush top and sides of the scones with beaten egg.
- Bake 10 minutes until golden brown.