Old-Fashioned Onion Soup
Make your own croutons to serve with this soup. Cut thick slices of black bread into cubes. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper, then broil until browned.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 4 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 6 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 cups beef broth
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black peppercorns
- Spray a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with nonstick olive oil cooking spray.
- Heat butter in a medium skillet over low heat. Slowly sauté onions in butter until browned, about 25 minutes.
- Add onions, broth, salt, and peppercorns to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.