Old-Fashioned Red Candy Apples
Everybody loves going to a county fair. But when youʼre following a gluten-free diet, the food is usually off-limits. But you can make fair-worthy crisp, red candy apples right in your own home using your slow cooker!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ cup red cinnamon candies (Red Hots)
- 8 large apples
- 8 wooden skewers or chopsticks
- Place sugar, corn syrup, water, and cinnamon candies into a 2.5-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1½–2 hours until the mixture is hot and starting to bubble on the sides of the slow cooker.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Wash apples thoroughly and pat dry with a paper towel. Stick a wooden skewer or chopstick firmly in the center of each apple.
- Very carefully, dunk each apple and turn it over in the hot red candy liquid. You can use a spoon to help cover the apple if the top cannot be easily covered. Place each candy-coated apple on the lined baking sheet and allow to cool to room temperature. The candy coating will stay crisp on the apples for about 24 hours.