Old-Fashioned Sugar Cookies
Makes: 48Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1 cup lard, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 1⁄2 tsp sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and cloves; set aside. In a large bowl, cream together the lard and sugar until light. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 cup of the flour mixture to the lard mixture and mix well. Stir in the milk. Add the remaining flour mixture.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough 1⁄4 inch thick. Using a round cookie cutter 3 inches in diameter, cut out cookies. Place on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a rack.