Old-Fashioned Tequila Barbecue Sauce
It’s a fact that you ingest no alcohol when you add liquor or wine to a cooked sauce; all you get is flavor.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 3 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 small serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flat beer
- 4 cups fresh or canned chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup strong coffee
- 2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic, onion, and peppers. Sauté 10 minutes until very soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 3 hours until reduced to 1 quart.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and blend until smooth.