Old-Style Whole-Wheat Bread
Serves: 20Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup warm water
- 1¼ tsp. active dry yeast
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose or bread flour
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground mustard
- ⅛ tsp. dried lemon peel, crushed
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1½ Tbsp. Spectrum Naturals Organic All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- Add the yeast to the warm water. Stir in the all-purpose flour and granulated sugar. Beat the mixture until smooth, either by hand or with a mixer. Set the mixture in a warm place to “proof” until it becomes foamy and bubbly (up to 1 hour).
- Combine the hot water, salt, mustard powder, lemon peel, brown sugar, and shortening; stir. Allow to cool until lukewarm. Add to the bubbly flour mixture. Stir in the whole wheat flour and beat until smooth, but do not knead.
- Divide the dough into 2 loaf pans treated with nonstick spray; cover and set in a warm place until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 350° and bake for 50 minutes.