Serve this bread dressed with olive oil and softened cheese for a cocktail snack. The fiber comes with the delicious olives and whole-wheat flour.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 packet (¼ oz.) yeast
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1⅓ cups warm water
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup pitted niçoise olives
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh thyme
- Combine yeast, ½ teaspoon honey, and ⅓ cup water in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl combine remaining water, olive oil, remaining honey, salt, and baking powder. Mix in the all-purpose flour, then the yeast mixture with an electric mixer. Add the whole-wheat flour, olives, and thyme. Knead with a dough hook for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough into an oiled bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough, then shape into a cylinder and place in an oiled loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 90 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover bread and bake for 40 minutes.