Olive Oil–Poached Cod
Poaching cod in olive oil produces a succulent, delicate fish that will wow your family or guests.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 fresh cod steaks or fillets (6 oz. each)
- 2½–3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- Rinse the fillets and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Choose a pot that will just fit the fish and fill it with the oil. Bring the oil to a temperature of 210°F. Adjust the heat to keep the temperature at 210°F while poaching the fish.
- Carefully place the steaks or fillets in the oil and poach them for 6 minutes or until the fish is opaque in color. Carefully remove the fish from the oil and put it on a plate. Sprinkle the fish with salt.
- Spoon some of the warm oil over the fish and then drizzle it with lemon juice. Sprinkle the zest over the fish and serve it immediately.