One-Pot Paleo Indian Turmeric Chicken and Rice
This dish brings winter comfort food to a whole new level, with an Indian-inspired flavor profile of warm spices and beneficial turmeric.
Serves: 6Prep: 20 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2” piece fresh ginger, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Fresh cilantro, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon turmeric.
- In Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add ghee. Cook chicken 4 to 6 minutes on each side, until browned. Transfer to plate.
- In Dutch oven, sauté onion until tender. Add ginger, garlic, paprika, cumin, coriander, cinnamon and ½ teaspoon turmeric, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes. Add rice, continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, turnip, tomatoes and broth. Bring to boil. Nestle chicken pieces into rice, skin side up. Cover and bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove lid; broil 3 to 5 minutes to crisp chicken skin.
- Serve with lime and cilantro.