One-Step Roast Chicken
Once you’ve mastered the basic skill of roasting chicken, you may want to try a few creative variations, such as placing lemon slices underneath the skin.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 fryer chicken (3½ lbs.)
- 1½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary, plus 2 sprigs for roasting
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Rinse the chicken under cold running water and pat dry. Rub the olive oil, chopped rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper over the chicken. Place the chicken on the rack in a shallow roasting pan. Add rosemary sprigs and ½ cup water.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the juices run clear when the chicken is pricked with a fork. If checking doneness with a meat thermometer, the internal temperature of the chicken should be 175° at the thickest part of the thigh.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.