Onion Cheese Dip
This cheese dip is great for munching on before your Thanksgiving feast. Serve it up with your favorite crunchy vegetables or chips.
Serves: 8Prep: 20 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 8 ounces Kroger® Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 scallions, chopped
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter and add the onions, salt and pepper. Cook until softened for 8-10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the sugar. Stir frequently until the onions are a deep golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Add a tablespoon of water if the onions stick to the pan.
- Stir in the thyme and remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sour cream and zest. Fold in the Gruyere and onions.
- Transfer mixture to a shallow 3 cup baking dish. Sprinkle with scallions. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve with chips or vegetables.
- Refrigerate leftovers.