Open-Faced Tomato-Basil Sandwiches
The combination of hot bread and melted cheese with cold seasoned tomatoes and basil is simply spectacular.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- 12 slices whole-grain French bread
- ½ cup shredded Havarti cheese
- In small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and garlic and mix well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, stir, and set aside.
- Preheat broiler. Brush bread slices on one side with remaining olive oil. Place, oil side up, on broiler pan. Broil 6" from heat for 2–5 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted. Turn bread.
- Sprinkle cheese in center of untoasted side of bread slices. Return to broiler and broil for 3–4 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from broiler and immediately top each open-faced sandwich with a spoonful of the tomato mixture. Serve immediately.