Open-Faced Tomato-Basil Sandwiches
The combination of hot bread and melted cheese with cold seasoned tomatoes and basil is simply spectacular.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- 12 slices whole-grain French bread
- 1⁄2 cup shredded Havarti cheese
- In small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and garlic and mix well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, stir, and set aside.
- Preheat broiler. Brush bread slices on one side with remaining olive oil. Place, oil side up, on broiler pan. Broil 6 inches from heat for 2 to 5 minutes or until bread is lightly toasted. Turn bread.
- Sprinkle cheese in center of untoasted side of bread slices. Return to broiler and broil for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbling. Remove from broiler and immediately top each open-faced sandwich with a spoonful of the tomato mixture. Serve immediately.