Orange Almond Pastina Soufflé
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups milk
- ⅓ cup pastina
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 4 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan and bring to just below a boil over high heat. Stir in the pastina. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes, or until the pastina is softened and the mixture has thickened. Add ¼ cup sugar and stir until it dissolves. Stir in the butter, orange zest, and almond extract. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks until blended. Add ¼ cup sugar and beat until foamy. In another bowl, beat the egg whites, adding the remaining ¼ cup sugar as they become foamy. Then continue to beat until shiny but not too stiff. Fold the yolks into the pastina mixture, mixing well. Then carefully fold in the egg whites just until no white streaks remain. Pour into a 2-quart baking dish set in a baking pan. Add hot water to the pan to a depth of 1".
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the contents are set and the top is golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.