Orange Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry
The essential oils in citrus peels add lots of flavor and provide highly beneficial nutritional properties thought to help reduce inflammation and possibly fight cancer. This recipe is very high in vitamin C as well as low in fat.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 oranges
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. arrowroot
- 1 tsp. agave syrup
- 1 lb. beef sirloin
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger root
- 2 lbs. broccoli, broken into small florets
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- Thinly peel skin from oranges in wide strips, taking care not to include white pith. Julienne zest into thin strips. Squeeze orange juice and combine with soy sauce, vinegar, arrowroot, and agave syrup in small bowl. Trim excess fat from beef and cut across the grain into ⅛" × 3" slices.
- Heat half of the sesame oil in large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger root; stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add beef; stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until browned. Remove beef from wok with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to wok and add broccoli. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add water. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until water evaporates and broccoli is tender.
- Return beef to skillet along with orange juice mixture. Stir-fry until sauce has thickened, about 2–3 minutes. Serve immediately over hot cooked rice.