Orange Braised Beef Short Ribs
These slow-braised short ribs are loaded with citrus and the umami flavor of soy sauce. They’re perfect to make on a chilly weekend evening.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. mirin
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 cups water
- 4 lbs. boneless chuck short ribs
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- Place soy sauce, onion, orange juice, garlic, sugar, mirin, and crushed red pepper in a blender. Process until smooth.
- Pour sauce in the bottom of a large Dutch oven. Add water to the sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Score the ribs in several places with a sharp knife. Add the ribs to the sauce. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook the ribs for 2 hours.
- Add the carrots. Cook, covered, for an additional 30 minutes or until the carrots are cooked through and the meat is fall-apart tender. Divide between bowls and garnish with scallions.