This delicious cake has a nice zing with the addition of a little lemon juice and the grated orange rind. The gingerroot adds an appealing sophistication.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Grated rind of 1⁄2 fresh orange
- 1⁄2 cup corn flour
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Liberally butter a springform pan and preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside. Beat the egg yolks, sugar, and carrots together. Add the lemon juice, orange rind, and corn flour. Mix until smooth, then add the gingerroot, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the cake batter into the springform pan and bake for 1 hour. Test by plunging a toothpick into the center of the cake—if the pick comes out clean, the cake is done.