Orange Carrot Cake
This delicious cake has a nice zing with the addition of a little lemon juice and the grated orange rind. The ginger root adds an appealing sophistication.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 packed cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated carrots
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp. grated orange zest, divided
- 1⁄2 cup corn flour
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Liberally spray a springform pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks, sugar, and carrots together. Add lemon juice, 2 tablespoons orange zest, and corn flour. When smooth, add the ginger, baking soda, and salt. Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the cake batter into the Springform pan and bake for 1 hour. Test by plunging a toothpick into the center of the cake—if the pick comes out clean, the cake is done. Garnish with remaining orange zest.