Orange Cracked-Wheat Bread
Orange juice adds a nice tang to this bread and helps offset the strong flavor some whole wheat breads can have.
Serves: 20Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup cracked wheat, plus more for rolling
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.25 oz. package instant dry yeast
- 2 1⁄2 to 3 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- Pour cracked wheat into large bowl. Pour boiling water over, stir, and let stand for 20 minutes. Add butter and stir until melted. Add honey, orange juice, orange zest, and salt and mix well. Stir in whole wheat flour and instant dry yeast and beat for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in enough bread flour to make a medium-soft dough.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead for 8 minutes or until elastic. Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in warm place for 1 hour. Punch down dough, divide into two parts, cover with bowl, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Grease 2 loaf pans (9 by 5 inches) with unsalted butter. On lightly floured surface, roll or pat dough to 7-by-12-inch rectangles. Roll up tightly, starting with the 7-inch side; pinch ends and edges to seal. Roll loaves in cracked wheat and place in prepared pans, cover, and let rise until bread fills pans, about 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake bread for 40 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.