Orange Cream Puffs with Strawberries
Cream puffs are a fancy dessert that isn’t as difficult as you might think. You can also make these into orange éclairs by piping the pastry dough into 2" lines rather than round shapes.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 box (3.4 oz.) instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ cup finely diced strawberries
- In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix, milk, and vanilla and whisk until the mixture starts to thicken. Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add water, butter, orange zest, and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and add flour all at once. Stir until the mixture forms a smooth ball. You will notice a light film form on the bottom of the pan.
- Transfer the dough to the work bowl of a stand mixer or a medium bowl with a hand mixer, and let cool for 10 minutes. Once the dough has cooled, turn on your mixer to low speed and add eggs one at a time, making sure the first egg is fully incorporated before adding the second.
- Put the pastry dough into a pastry bag fitted with a large round or star-shaped tip and pipe out the dough into golf ball sized mounds about 2" apart. Bake 18 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown all over and is shiny and dry to the touch. Remove from the oven and turn on their sides. Poke a small hole in the bottom of each pastry with a toothpick and allow to cool completely to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, orange juice, and melted butter and mix until smooth.
- To assemble, slice each pastry in half horizontally. Pipe or spoon a heaping tablespoon of pudding into the base of the pastry. Sprinkle with diced strawberries and top with the other half of the pastry. Drizzle glaze generously over the top. Chill 1 hour before serving.