Orange Creamsicle Cupcakes
Enjoy these orange-flavored cupcakes with a cloud of creamy white frosting!
Serves: 14Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. soy creamer, divided
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 Tbsp. orange extract
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine soy milk and vinegar in a medium bowl. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to thicken. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. Add 1⁄2 cup soy creamer, oil, orange extract, and 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract to the soy milk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mixture, stirring gently until there are no large lumps. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until 3⁄4 full.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes.
- To make the frosting, cream shortening and margarine with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Beat in remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract and remaining 1 tablespoon soy creamer until light and fluffy.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.