Orange Date Pinwheels
Orange-flavored cookies with sweet date filling are an old-fashioned autumn treat. Tint the cookie dough orange for seasonal parties.
Makes: 60 cookiesHands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 60 cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar, divided
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. orange flavoring
- 1½ cups chopped dates
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Cream butter, ½ cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy. Add egg, orange rind, juice, vanilla, and orange flavoring. Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda; blend in. Chill dough 2 hours.
- While dough is chilling, make date filling: Cook dates, remaining granulated sugar and water together, stirring often, until thickened. Cool 20 minutes, then stir in lemon juice.
- Roll dough out into a rectangle; spread with date filling. Roll up like a jelly roll; roll in wax paper. Chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice pinwheels ⅓" thick; place on baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes.