These flavorful cookies, using two kinds of ginger, are tender and chewy.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. light molasses
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 cup minced candied ginger
- In large bowl, combine butter, honey, molasses, and brown sugar; beat until smooth. Add egg, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Stir in all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom until blended. Work in the candied ginger. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll dough into 3⁄4-inch balls and roll in sugar. Place on baking sheets. Bake for 9 to 13 minutes or until gingersnaps are just set. Cool on baking sheets for 4 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.